What level of compensation can BSD Postdoctoral Fellows and Scholars expect to receive?
The “Salary and Stipend” section of “The University of Chicago Postdoctoral Researcher Manual” sets forth the University-wide policy regarding compensation for postdoctoral researchers (effective Dec 1, 2016 the minimum salary for Postdoctoral Scholars is $47,478).
The BSD’s supplemental policy regarding postdoctoral researcher compensation is that all newly hired postdoctoral researchers shall be paid no less than the minimum salary for 0 years of experience established by the NIH/NRSA schedule in effect at the time the appointment begins (updated Dec 2016). It bears noting that this policy establishes minimum compensation only; it is expected that all BSD postdoctoral researchers will be equitably compensated throughout the period of training and, in addition, be eligible for merit increases based on performance assessments. It is highly recommended in setting compensation at the time of re-appointment that departments adhere to the appropriate step on the NIH/NRSA schedule. At minimum, however, compensation for the initial re-appointment year and subsequent re-appointment years shall be no less than the minimum salary for 0 years of experience on the NIH/NRSA schedule in effect at the time the re-appointment begins.
Useful Compensation Links
- The Office of Academic Affairs - Issues of postdoc appointment and compensation are handled through this office.
- University of Chicago Financial Services-Payroll
Useful Taxation Links
- Internal Revenue Service (Federal Tax)
- Illinois Department of Revenue (State Tax)
- University of Chicago Tax Info
- Claiming International Tax Treaty Benefits
- Tax Responsibilities for International Scholars (OIA)
- Overview of Tax Issue for Postdocs (National Postdoctoral Association)
Useful Social Security Links