We are the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs (OGPA) and Postdoctoral Association (PDA) at The University of Chicago Biological Sciences Division (BSD). Our mission is to enhance the quality of the postdoctoral experience.
A member of the PDA Welcome Committee will email you soon after your arrival to set up a time to meet. They will give you a Welcome Packet that contains helpful info about campus, being a BSD postdoc, and other important information.
- Garnett Powers Website
- Finding a provider
- Glossary of healthcare terms
- List of recommended healthcare providers compiled by postdocs for postdocs!
Mental Health and Wellness
- Staff and Faculty Assistance Program
- Garnett Powers Wellness Benefits for Postdocs
- UChicago Spiritual Life
- UChicago Yoga Club
- NIH Wellness Resources
- Self-Care Assessment Worksheet
- APA Resilience Guide
- Healthy Chicago Resources
- Crisis Mental Health Providers
- Sliding Scale Psychiatric Services Providers (compiled by City Colleges of Chicago)
- Chicago Alcoholics Anonymous
- Community Counseling Centers of Chicago
- NAMI Chicago
- Chicago Crisis & Support Hotlines
- National Crisis HelpLines
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Crisis Text Line provides 24/7 text-based crisis counseling. Crisis Text Line is also always looking for volunteer crisis counselors, and provides training as part of its volunteer program.
- UChicago ID and Privileges Office
- Safety, transportation and parking on campus – get a parking pass, find bus schedules, register your laptop and bicycle
- UMatter – Resources for Addressing Gender-based Misconduct
- Bias Response Team
- Athletics facilities – postdocs receive special membership rates, ask at the Ratner front desk for details and to sign up
- LGBTQ Student Life – serving students and allies
- International House
- Campus food, visiting the university – maps, arts & culture, libraries
- Parking at UChicago
- Campus housing
- UChicago GRAD Housing webpage
- A guide to the Hyde Park neighborhood
- Online listings: Craigslist, domu.com, Trulia, Zillow
- Utlities: Electric (ComEd), Gas (People’s Gas), TV and internet (Comcast, DIRECTV, DishNetwork, AT&T)
- Furniture rental: Cort Furniture
Life in Chicago
- Things to do in Chicago
- Chicago Summer Calendar
- Public Transportation (CTA)
- Metra Rail
- Obtaining an Illinois driver’s licence and registering a car
- Chicago City Sticker – all Chicago residents must obtain a city sticker for the their car
- Residential Parking Permits – many areas of Chicago also have residential parking zones. Check this website to see if you are living in one of these zones. This will require a parking permit in addition to the City Sticker for your car.
- Register to vote!