Individual Development Plans
The Individual Development Plan (IDP) is a tool for career planning and yearly performance evaluations. A BSD version of an IDP is a part of your annual reappointment and review! The PDA has developed a hard copy of the IDP, available here.
Science Careers offers an interactive online IDP career assessment tool for postdocs to explore and develop their plan in a variety of career paths.
myIDP allows you to:
- Examine your skills, interests, and values with online assessements
- Explore scientific career paths that align with your skills & interests
- Set strategic goals for the coming year, with optional reminders to keep you on track
- Find articles and resources to guide you through the process
Planning to pursue an academic career path? Prepare for faculty careers with the UCSF Academic Career Readiness Assessment (ACRA).
Your scientific or professional society will have information related to career development, job opportunities, and other educational resources. These societies are a great place to start when looking for career information related to your field. Did you know that UChicago is a Sustaining Member of the National Postdoctoral Association? That means that all BSD Postdocs are entitled to a FREE affiliate NPA membership! Click here to join.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- American Association of Immunologists (AAI)
- American Crystallographic Association (ACA)
- American Medical Writers Association (AMWA)
- American Psychiatry Association (APA)
- American Physiological Society (APS)
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB)
- American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB)
- American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET)
- American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG)
- Association for Women in Science (AWIS)
- Association of Clinical Research Professionals (ACRP)
- Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO)
- Biophysical Society
- Drug Information Association (DIA)
- Ecology Society of America (ESA)
- Endocrine Society
- European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO)
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB)
- Genetics Society of America (GSA)
- Medical Science Liaison Society (MSLS)
- National Academy of Sciences (NAS)
- National Research Council (NAS NRC)
- Regulatory Affairs Professional Society (RAPS)
- Sigma Xi, Scientific Research Society
- Society for Developmental Biology (SDB)
- Society for General Microbiology
- Society for Neuroscience (SfN)
- Society for the Study of Evolution
Fill out this business card template and email to the Assistant Director of Postdoctoral Affairs, who will have 30 free personalized business cards printed for you.
Postdocs may now purchase subsidized business cards here, starting at $8 for 100 cards. Whether you’re heading to a conference or out onto the job market, you can use a template designed for UChicago postdocs and have cards shipped direct to you.
Online Career Exploration Tools
- Career Toolkit
- InterSECT Job Simulations: Interactive Simulation Exercises for Career Transitions
- “Making the Right Moves: A Practical Guide to Scientific Management for Postdocs and New Faculty” Published by HHMI, this downloadable book is a collection of practical advice and experiences from seasoned biomedical investigators. The 2nd edition contains chapters on laboratory leadership, project management, teaching and course design.
- NIH Training and Career Development Resources for Postdocs and Early Career Scientists
- PhDs.org: Science, Math, and Engineering Career Resources
- Sloan Career Cornerstone – non-profit resource center for those exploring career paths in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- VersatilePhD: Helping graduate students and PhDs envision, prepare for, and excel in non-academic careers
- Graduate Debris: A resource blog for PhD students and postdocs that covers topics including academics, career exploration, and personal finance. This site was created by John Leonard, PhD, a postdoc alum of the BSD (’18) and former member of the BSD-PDA.
(Some) Job Search Websites
- UChicagoGRAD Job Postings!
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund
- Cancer Careers
- Cell magazine
- Ecological Society of America
- Glassdoor Salary Estimator
- HERC – has dual career function
- Kelly Scientific Jobs
- LinkedIn Jobs
- Medical Science Liaison Jobs
- National Postdoctoral Association Career Center
- Nature magazine Jobs
- New Scientist magazine
- NIH Office of Intramural Training and Education Job Board
- North American Vascular Biology
- Pathways to Science Postdoc Portal
- Science Careers by AAAS
- Science Careers Now
- SciPhD Virtual Career Center
- USA Jobs